Place of Business:
The San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind
The Vice President of Human Resources provides the strategic direction and guidance for the workforce-related components of the organization. This individual implements organization-wide strategy, programs, and policies, enabling employees and leadership to maintain the quality of both our people-centered programs, products and services. Responsible for multiple staff functions, the Vice President of Human Resources is responsible for the following areas: Organizational Development, HR Strategic and Business Planning, Learning and Development, Payroll, and corporate HR governance and legal compliance.
Job Duties and / or Responsibilities:
Strategic Pipeline Development and Recruiting:
Employee Relations and Safety:
- Works collaboratively across departments to ensure HR infrastructure, policies and procedures, systems, and people in place to accommodate continued growth
- Champion a positive employee experience to shape the community, morale, and culture of The Lighthouse —with an obsessive focus on building a great place to work that attracts, motivates and retains employees
- Identify, attract, and target new candidates, especially blind talent, and create programs and initiatives to ensure a robust national candidate pipeline, focusing special attention on the roles that are most frequently under-resourced
- Lead or support various upward mobility goals, programs and practices to increase upward mobility opportunities
- Enable leaders at all levels to maintain an environment that engages team members to do their best every day, and supports them as they strive for zero accidents and injuries
- Evaluate employee relations issues and meet with supervisors to determine effective remediation techniques, such as training or personal intervention to resolve issues
- Monitor employee counseling, disciplinary actions, and performance improvement plans to ensure each employee receives adequate support to be successful
- Support the administration of risk management and safety policies and programs in accordance with The Lighthouse’s stated objectives
- Identify competency, knowledge and talent needs within the organization and develop programs for enhancing skills and increasing knowledge to close gaps and provide new opportunities
- Oversee and support the performance management process and provide guidance to leaders on their employee reviews, evaluations, and compensation packages
- Provide department leaders with direct counsel to support and maintain a culture of excellence, innovation, trust, and organizational growth
- Develop and implement a progressive and proactive compensation and benefits program that responds to the rapidly changing hourly wage laws as they apply to each location
Human Resources Department Leadership:
- Lead and mentor a group of HR professionals and work with them to identify continuous quality improvement opportunities within the department
- Provide strong leadership support for the Human Resources department to ensure that they cohesively work together to maximize employee opportunities for personal and professional development
- Oversee the successful evaluation, updating, and implementation of all Human Resources department strategies and programs to ensure that they are aligned with the strategic goals of The Lighthouse
- Lead the HR staff in reviewing and updating the employee handbook in accordance with all applicable HR policies, practices, and laws
- Develop successful cooperative relationships with other departments at The Lighthouse
- Assume additional responsibilities, perform additional duties, and complete special projects as assigned
Education / Experience:
Skills / Abilities:
- Bachelors degree
- A Masters Degree and/or Human Resources certification is preferred
- Minimum of 8 years of progressively responsible experience in Human Resources.
- Proven record of effective HR leadership, preferably in a manufacturing environment
- Bilingual Spanish/English and/or Braille skills a plus
- Ability to carry a good sense of humor
- Ability to make an outstanding first impression
- Ability to be outgoing and effectively interact with others at all levels
- Excellent interpersonal and people skills
- Strong sense of urgency & ability to meet tight deadlines
- Strong Leadership skills - ability to lead by example
- Skills in basic math
- Excellent managerial skills
- Focused team player
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Computer literate
- People-focused and servant-like mentality
- Ability to work with a diverse population
- Ability to inspire and lead a diversified team of managers
- Internally motivated and driven---a self-starter
- Ability to plan and develop independently
- Exemplary problem solving and critical thinking abilities
- Must be able to lift 50 lbs.
- Must be able to report to workstation without assistance.
- Must be able to sit/stand for long periods of time.
- Must be able to conduct repetitive motions on a daily basis.
Click here to apply.